Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Semi-anonymized moderation.

From: Jon Oberheide <jon () oberheide org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:05:17 -0500

On 1/28/08, Kowsik <kowsik () gmail com> wrote:
After 5+ years of stopping this, stopping that, writing anti-malware,
anti-dos, anti-backdoors, anti-vulnerablities, anti-scanners,
anti-spoofing, anti-this and anti-that, it pretty much came down to
"ENOUGH ALREADY!", for me.

Being reactive just ain't fun. It gets pretty damn tiring after a
while when for ever rule the ID/PS has, there are like a million
exceptions on the network. No, I'm not just talking about evasions and
obfuscations. One small step for the attacker, one impossible jump for
the rest - especially with the current approach.

This is not a dig on specific products or how they work. They do what
they are intended to do reasonably well. However, the problem they all
set out to solve is inherently intractable.

As my colleague would say, it's a "security-complete" problem.

(No, there is no formal definition for a security-complete class of
problems.  A problem just automagically becomes security-complete when
you reach that "ENOUGH ALREADY" stage and feel like smashing all
computing devices in a 10 block radius.)

Besides being a meaningless novelty term used to cop-out of hard
problems, we can at least make vague, swiss-cheese analogies and compare
it to a similar class of problems: NP-complete.  We don't give up
NP-complete problems because they lack a polynomial-time solution;
instead, we develop practical algorithms that provide approximate
solutions.  You can see where this is going...

Regards,
Jon Oberheide

--
Jon Oberheide <jon () oberheide org>