Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: confirming it's a person

From: "Jonathan Wilkins" <jwilkins () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:39:52 -0700

Algorithms like SIFT (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-invariant_feature_transform)
make this even more accurate.

FWIW, here's my opinion on the technology.  Some of this is from memory.
First, they're ok with a 1/4096 success rate from random guesses according
their paper.  They say that they have a very large database to pull from
(all
of the previously posted data that attackers wouldn't have access to) but
I'm
figuring that adding a few thousand pre-tagged animals to the mix every week
(the animals available for adoption currently) in combination with the fact
that
attackers can farm out solving them and also save correct answers means that

the attacker's cost declines over time and their success rate increases.

Not good characteristics.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Stefan Wagner <ffm.stefan () googlemail com>