Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hacking software is lame -- try medical research...

From: dan () geer org
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:16:32 -0400

Philippe Langlois writes:
-+-----------------------

 | I'm sure we'll see huge improvement in fluidity of tech in the bio
 | domain, but some hurdle will have to be overcome (is _that_
 | english?  uh... i hope :). Already you can send samples to
 | some companies and  get the DNA sequencing online from their
 | server within days etc... So  that's a big plus in favor of
 | fluidity. Now there is the patent  problem in bio (luckily we
 | have yet avoided software patents in  europe). Wired ran an
 | article years ago about "bio hackers"  engineering bees in
 | their basement IIRC, etc... We'll see certainly  some
 | bio-hackers doing fun stuff.

Oddly enough, the very staid, circa 100 year old
magazine for beekeepers was discussing only this
month whether bioengineered honeybees are the way
of the future -- specifically ones that can co-exist
with various parasites and infectious maladies which
is to say, in our language, with bots and malware.

Intrusion tolerance, anyone?

--dan, beekeeper