Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hacking software is lame -- try medical research...

From: Rich Mogull <rmogull-dd () securosis com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:12:05 -0700

A big part of the problem is overhead and test environments, but this
might change (at least to some degree) in our lifetime. Part of my
degree is in molecular biology (undergrad only) and it's a truly
amazing and fascinating field. The problem is, the equipment to do
any serious research is costly and difficult to obtain, never mind
dangerous when working with humans. One nice thing about hacking/
security research is we can just bang away on our own test systems
with very low risk. While you can do lightweight bio research at home
now (check out the Make issue on home DNA), working on the big issues
requires a lot more overhead. Sure, any one of us can run a gel assay
at home, but real DNA sequencing or cellular research isn't the kind
of thing the average person can do in their basement (yet). So yes,
part of it is the challenge of learning new skills and tools, but the
other part is that you can't just hack into biology like you can tech.

But JS is onto one area where we might be able to contribute without
having to go back to school and relearn O-chem. The medical field is
relying more and more on bioinformatics and other tech that's within
our domain. Partnering with some medical researchers is one way to
contribute. It's a bit of a different mindset, when you're dealing
with living things you definitely have to be more methodical than
most of us probably are with our code.

It moves way slower, but can be seriously cool. Even as an undergrad
I got to be the first person (with my lab partner) to DNA sequence a
particular strain of yeast. Sounds corny, but was weirdly satisfying.
Didn't make a good beer though...