Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Uninformed Journal Release Announcement: Volume 8

From: "Michael Myers" <tehshape () info-pull com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:13:08 +0200

One of our kids here happens to known lambdawar since some time ago
(years). It seems that after all this time, there's this weird,
annoying assumption (or misconception depending on how tired you feel
about it) that everything that isn't public, doesn't exist.

The crowd of home wifes that represents maybe the highest percent of
female population in the whole world, knows this since taper ware
became mainstream. How comes that the VERY BEST of the IT security
industry still don't get it?

Let's put a simple example, 'real world case':

One day you get up, jump out of your bed and quickly go to read your
GMail account inbox, where a French man lost in da UK has delivered an
e-mail, '"whining" about something that he probably knows better than
quite some people out there (...the early elfsh days to ERESI now).
Maybe his English is not perfect. Maybe he is in fact whining. But
something in your brain ticks, and you click at the Settings link.
Promptly you change to the POP and forwarding settings, only to find
that magically POP access has been enabled for your account. But you
never, ever, did it yourself, or at least can't remember enabling it
since you like to use TOR and your web browser, for everything else
(from personal e-mail, to business, to LinkedIn spamming). This
dilemma drives you insane, and suddenly you realize that someone has
had 'his jenkem', otherwise popularly known as 'inbox juarez'.

Then you ask yourself: Since nobody actually forwarded a tarball with
my Inbox to lulz-disclosure, you obviously didn't get hacked by
negroidians from Pluto!

Is that assumption wrong? I think so. But ,this just an example! (well
I'm not sure but I damn promise I just popped it out of my mind at
this very moment, any relation or connection with reality is purely
coincidental and involuntary).

Please be careful about assuming that everything that isn't public
hasn't been done by someone else before. The security industry is so
full of shit that apparently there's nothing interesting but competing
against each other to see who gets the jenkem first. One security
researcher's poo is another's treasure. Security research? Just
another non-sense. If you wanna do research, go mess with cancer
patients. Writing some half-assed crap or bragging about Asterisk 0day
is not research.

The short answer to your e-mail, which I carefully considered: just
shut the fuck up, get your ass moving and actually do something
_yourself_. These chubby security popstar groupies phenomenon is
really getting annoying. We've got Schneider groupies, Matasano
groupies, Maynor groupies, Metasploit groupies (Lance, I see you
there!), Honeynet groupies, etc. Oh, and I missed the Immunity
groupies. But we never see them wasting their time on bullshit.

Aueheuehieheuhaihaia.