Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: With great responsibility comes great power.

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:23:23 -0500

I don't believe there is anything in this thread which helps any of
us, but although there is some limited truth I can agree to in what you
write, equating information warfare to vulnerabilities is like equating war
to guns.

Yes, important analogies and correlations do exist, but it is
irresponsible if given as empiric advice. Warfare is far from JUST the
technology used, and if we are to listen to Clausewitz (who I humbly disagree
with on this one point), completely irrelevant.

You mentioned some interesting points on that vulnerabilities are
ammuniction, of sorts, and that some vendors such as SCADA vendors are
as clueless as most of the vendors we deal with were 10 years ago
(rephrazing). Thess are important points.

But your analogy of "information warfare, vulnerability less or more" is
a simplification I can't live with.

        Gadi.