Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: With great responsibility comes great power.

From: mOses <trklisted () networksamurai org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 18:31:49 -0400

The question is weather that is as scary as this:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/06/04/3_plead_guilty_in_tech_export_case/

Chi Mak who in 2005 was arrested for espionage. He was allegedly sending
documents from his job as a defense contractor over to china. The CD's
that where found contained propulsion systems for a new submarine and
lot more juicy things you can imagine.

I wonder how much far forward the Chinese got because of this person and
people like him.....

Dave Aitel wrote:

Right now we're in the midst of some sort of weird publicity push from
the US Military regarding cyberwar, which started before the Estonians
got DDoSed last week. Most of the articles point out how China is
beefing up their forces with frankly inane titles such as "China
Cyberware Alert!":

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/06/13/china.cyberspace.reut/index.html
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003548.html
There's a NYT article today too, but they make it impossible to link
to them.

In March, Stratfor had an article about it as well:
http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=286304
They concluded:
"""
Ultimately, much about cyberwarfare efforts will remain classified.
Cartwright's comments are more illustrative of a military that is
accustomed to dominating the battle space preparing for a new
offensive in cyberspace. STRATCOM's staff judge advocate -- the
command's legal representative -- likely has advised Cartwright that
his efforts to bring offensive cyberwarfare measures to bear have
reached the point at which they require congressional oversight and
approval -- the only real motivation for Cartwright to share his
command's efforts with the public.
"""

If you listen to John Arquilla, of the Naval Postgraduate school, he
also mentions China first as the leading integrator of cyberwarfare
into their overall strategy [1]. Oddly he believes there's only a few
dozen master hackers in the world, a number I think is far too small,
but perhaps we have different definitions or just a different circle
of friends. His estimate is that half of the master hackers are
American, a number I would say is irrelevant. You can't judge the
length of a sword by the sharpness of the point.

My opinion is that any cyberwar waged against the United States would
be one-sided. As Admiral Yamamoto learned the hard way[2], one of the
US Military's defining characteristics is extensive propaganda efforts
to get the opponent to underestimate them. But as a somewhat useful
metric, you can fit the attendees of all the non-US information
security conferences each month into any one US conference.

-dave

[1] http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/podcast.aspx?id=30 - I started
listening to this sure he would be full of it, but it's really quite
good.
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto%27s_sleeping_giant_quote
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_Yamamoto%27s_sleeping_giant_quote>