Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: How is this WPAD redirect even a "hack"?

From: "James (njan) Eaton-Lee" <james.mailing () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:00:36 +0100

George Ou wrote:
I'm waiting for MS clarification if said surreptitious activity is a new
vulnerability or purely hypothetical.

It's definitely exploitable; it just relies upon the environment being configured in a particular way.

In a well setup windows infrastructure, DNS will be configured to require Secure Dynamic Updates - ie. authenticated updates a la RFC2845.

This means you shouldn't be able to just craft a DNS update using scapy (or whatever else you'd normally use) to create a WPAD record in the forward lookup zone from $randomclient. If you're able to authenticate to the DNS Server, however, you can create whatever records you like, and ANY domain client can do this.

Case in point; in a best-practice Win2003 AD environment, I've just done the following:

+ Renamed a Vista client to "WPAD" (this requires local admin on the box)
+ Joined it to the domain (in most domains, any domain user can do this up to 10 times)

At this point, the machine's registered itself via Secure Dynamic Updates in DNS, and lo and behold...

C:\Users\james>nslookup wpad.mydomain.com
Server:  DNSSERVER.mydomain.com
Address:  10.1.1.1:53

Name:    wpad.mydomain.com
Address:  10.1.1.118

Now, if I enable automatic proxy detection in IE on a domain client, and close/reopen IE, I get the following, dumped via ethereal:

GET /wpad.dat HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Host: 10.0.1.118
Connection: Close