Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Subject: Re: How Apple orchestrated web attack on (Bow Sineath)

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:59:22 -0400

IMHO, theses most vendors won't dare threaten any legal action if you have a
solid bug release/advisory methodology in place. Doing so would make them
look like they were trying to quash your research.

When we (SNOsoft) were working with HP back in early 2000 they threatened
legal action in an attempt to do just that, quash our research. Look at how
it backfired. A lot of people felt that HP cared more about quashing
security research than they did protecting their customers. That's a message
that companies are trying to avoid sending these days.

Granted, certain companies are still more difficult to work with than
others, but if your methodology for release is well built then you won't be
giving them a legal leg to stand on. You're just doing the right thing.

If not releasing bug information results in bugs left unchecked, then you
are doing an injustice to the I.T. Community, that's how I feel at least.