Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: SILICA, hashes, etc

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:05:59 -0500

One of our early adopters has a CISCO Leap network and I remember reading
of a simple algorithmic crack
for the authentication....has anyone tested it?

LEAP uses MS-CHAPv1 (PPTP circa NT4), which sends the LANMan v1 hash
otherwise in the clear.  LEAP doesn't actually introduce any new security
problems, it just reuses old ones.

The debate over what to use for wireless security should be old by now.
XP-SP1 and Cisco firmware updates should eliminate the need for substandard
third-party supplicants that use substandard third-party crypto.  But if
there's one thing Cisco's not good at, it's walking away from its own ideas.

PaulM