Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Some Sums

From: "Dave Aitel" <dave.aitel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:32:00 -0500

s/CANVAS/SPIKE/g CANVAS is not a fuzzer. SPIKE is a fuzzer. When PROTOS
includes shellcode, you can compare PROTOS and CANVAS.

And the thing about fuzzers is that using them is often harder than writing
them. For example, a lot of programs will die when fuzzed too quickly. Or
they may have one thousand and one ways to trigger a null pointer exception
that you have to avoid. Or they may find many different bugs, each of which
has to be sorted through for exploitability. Maybe they find 5 different
exploitable bugs, but only one of them is reliably exploitable. In other
words, there's a lot of work that goes into turning a fuzzer+vuln proggie
into bugs you can sell. And, of course, there's no easy way to tell that one
fuzzer is any better than the other. 5000 crashes do not equal 1 good
remote. It's not a number game, or even a code coverage game.

For what it's worth, binary analysis, especially automated binary analysis,
suffers from many of the same flaws, and of course you can combine the two
techniques, and then you get to sort through even more unexploitable integer
overflows.

But that's ok, because every single bug is beautiful, right? Some of these
bug-buying programs are like affirmative action for vulnerabilities.

The original SPIKE release did include a GPG'd advisory, and all it did was
make everyone all paranoid. And, of course, I lost the key I used to encrypt
it, so now even I wish I knew what the bug was.

-dave