Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Databases are too easy.

From: Brian Caswell <bmc () snort org>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:26:43 -0400

On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
Who would have thought browsing a webpage could launch random other
applications on your computer? Nobody, until microsoft decided to
let IE launch office applications, and invoke media player, and
whatever else.

Wrong.

ViolaWWW had support to run external programs in 1992.  Arena,
released in 1993, supported executing external programs via mailcap
entries.  As did Mosaic, which was also released in 1993.  Internet
Explorer was first released with Windows 95, which was released in
1995, nearly 2 years later.

Microsoft made no such decision.  They followed the already accepted
standard.

I used Arena for my primary browser for years, up until Yggdrasil
stopped work on it.

Brian