Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Databases are too easy.

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:05:55 -0400

________________________________

Subject: [Dailydave] Databases are too easy.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Storage

I can't figure out how you get from a storage API in Firefox that's back end
is sqlite to...

When people do databases, it's often because what they really want is AI,
but they can't afford it.

Firefox really needs AI, but can't afford it..?  Or are you not intending to
pick on Firefox?

I'm sure there are a million creative ways the new storage API can be used,
and I for one hope the folks that write chrome extensions (*HINT-HINT:Sage*)
see the possibilities*.

When I read your database diss, I immediately thought of SIM products and
how databases [handi]cap performance and storage of log data and offer only
limited emulation of logic engines because it's all gotta work out to some
SELECT statement on the back end.  Then I remembered the logs are dumb (log
analysis is not dumb, but log content is) and hardware is cheap.

PaulM

* like a year's worth of locally-stored RSS 2.0 content that can be searched
sideways