Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Tool announce: user mode single stepping

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:02:37 -0000

On 29 November 2006 18:26, Rafal_Wojtczuk () McAfee com wrote:

Hello,
There is a small project named "umss", created in McAfee labs, which
readers
of this list may find interesting. It implements fast single stepping of
Win32 binaries. It is ca 100x faster than WaitForDebugEvent() and 10x
faster
than in-process EXCEPTION_SINGLE_STEP trapping. Umss works by (kind of)
disassembling the binary on-the-fly and placing logging hooks after each
executed instruction (so, it does not use the TF flag). More information
and
the project source can be found at
http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/?p=140

  You're kind-of reinventing the gdb stub technique (as implemented on
platforms without a hardware single-step mode) here.

  Not that that invalidates anything you say, but it's a relevant comparison
and you may find it informative to browse some of the sample gdbstubs; your
blog post says umss is still a work-in-progress, so there might be useful
insights[*] to be had there.

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - Pun entirely accidental, but then again I didn't go to any great lengths
to excise it once I'd spotted it either...