Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Firefox bugs

From: "James (njan) Eaton-Lee" <james.mailing () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:21:03 +0100

Rob Lemos wrote:

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 00:10 +0200, endrazine wrote:

What's next? Spammers working with anti-spam companies? :>
Well, no offense Dave, but aren't you a hacker working against
hackers yourself ? ;) This schyzophrenia is part of the the process
of living from your security research, right ?

The hackers-security relationship is not the same as the
spammer-anti-spam/security relationship.

Not to mention the fact that the preceding e-mail leverages a popular
misconception as to what, exactly, Schizophrenia is.

It is not, as generally thought, a disorder involving manifestations of
more than one personality. There is a common confusion here between
Schizophrenia and the aptly named Dissociative Identity
Disorder/Multiple Personality Disorder. The wikipedia entries on both
topics are quite informative if anyone's interested in finding out more.

Sorry, just had to point that one out - this one really irks me. (Wait
until someone mis-uses the phrase "begs the question"...)

On top of that, of course, there's the misspelling... ;)

Calling someone a hacker defines their mindset, their approach to a
problem. A spammer is someone who has already chosen a certain path. A
hacker could be a spammer and vice versa, but I think the intersection
of the two would be a pretty small population.

A hacker can have all sorts of ethics, but a spammer has already pretty
much chosen their ethical position.

But yes.. as another poster points out, this is another reformulation of
the classic debate as to the meaning of the term 'hacker'; considerable
debate can be had on points like these solely semantically.

In this case I think the confusion arises based on the very loose use of
the word 'hacker' to simultaneously describe (i) a group of all
individuals, and also (ii) what is otherwise being assumed for the sake
of maligning this "skyzophrenia" to be two distinct groups of individuals.

I think someone needs to introduce venn diagrams to the discussion.. ;)

  - James.

--
   James (njan) Eaton-Lee | 10807960 | http://www.jeremiad.org
   Semper Monemus Sed Non Audiunt, Ergo Lartus - (Jean-Croix)

sites: https://www.bsrf.org.uk ~ http://www.security-forums.com
    ca: https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3