Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Firefox bugs

From: Matt <matt () use net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:25:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Thor Larholm wrote:

Their PoC, both the one in their slides and the full PoC, is nothing
more than an out-of-memory crash, of which Firefox already has plenty.
They were still struggling to write a working exploit days after the
presentation, even though they claimed to have just that during the
presentation.

Long story short, the bug is just a bug - not a vulnerability.

Just use valgrind on FireFox (compiled with symbols) and load up something
like maps.google.com. Then have a blast looking through the code and
finding all kinds of little OB1 and OBAF issues. I tried working with them
via their IRC channel to get some of these things fixed in 1.5, but they were
not cooperative or accepting of patches.

After that experience, I gave up and now use Konqueror, whose developers
I have found to be more receptive to in-depth debugging information and
acting upon it in a timely fashion. This is highly subjective, of course.

--
tangled strands of DNA explain the way that I behave.
http://www.clock.org/~matt