Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: "The organization I belong to doesn't have initals"(that evil dude in Heroes)

From: Daniel <daniel () ugc-labs co uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:10:24 +0700

David,

Say your on a test for a large financial bank and you use a 0hday to
take down their core IIS web farm. How do you explain to the CSO how
to remedy the problem. Do you explain the risk value you have
assigned for a vulnerability which has no solution/patch?.

A prime example of this would be a 0hday in IIS6.0

David: your IIS 6.0 is vulnerable to a unpublished, unknown
vulnerability
CSO: So what do we do David??
David: secure your network
CSO: How?
David: ????
CSO: Microsoft has no patch for this, they cannot help. I've paid you
to do an assessment, what is the risk of the vulnerability versus the
loss of business if I have to shut down our front-end trading system

See what I mean?