Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: [OFFLISTDailydave] ASP.Net viewstate

From: "Kartikeya Puri" <kartikeya.puri () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:13:27 -0700

go to python prompt

from base64 import *
s="YOUR-VIEWSTATE-STRING-AFTER-REPLACING-URL-ENCODED-PARAMETERS"
decodestring(s)

I am sure there i a better way of doing it, but I am Python novice.

May be someone can write a small script to replace url encoded chars
(%2F,%2B,%3D) in the string automatically and then pass it to decodestring
and a decent parser for decoded string.

Regards,
Kartik

On 9/13/06, Nick Drage <nickd () metastasis org uk> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:20:44PM +0400, Kartikeya Puri wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> During a test I came across a new feature that was introduced inot one
of
> our application Viewstate. Though it adds an overhead to the
performance, it
> is adds a trivial level of security. As viewstate holds encoded version
of
> data being posted along with other controls, it makes it tricky to
change
> query variables. I have been able to decode viewstate using python
> decodestring, but only after I have changed URL encoded characters back
> their decoded form.

Apologies for asking for help rather than offering it, but is the code
available to do this?

Unfortunately "learn python" is still firmly ensconced on my "to do" so
its not something I'm currently capable of myself.

Thank you.

--
We are the Willing, led by the Unknowing,
Are doing the Impossible, for the Ungrateful.

--
Im not under d affluence of incohol as some tinkle peep.Im not half as thunk
as u drink.I fool so feelish and da drunker i stand here da longer i get..