Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: odd exploitation question

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:22:51 +0100

On 24 August 2006 16:11, Jeremy Kelley wrote:

I'm a little stumped writing an exploit for an ActiveX object and so I
figured I'd pester this list for a bit of help.

My exploit works flawlessy when attached to the process in the
debugger.  Doesn't exec calc.exe when run w/o a debugger.

  Different heap behaviour is invoked when you run a process under the
debugger.  See earlier posts on this list...

1) The heap is different when run under a debugger (thx HD for the
tip), but, I'm attaching the process with Olly _after_ it's already
running.

  Ah.  That's different.

Windows doesn't do some whacked-out mojo and start using the
debug-heap on any heap allocations following, right?  I can't fathom
how that would work.

  Nope, it doesn't do that.

2) What could cause the shellcode to execute flawlessly under a
debugger but not other times.  It's an exec - so I can't imagine the
process is dying before it's kickstarted calc.exe.. exec doesn't work
that way.

  Debugger having a first-chance exception filter?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  If I've left out necessary details,
I'll be glad to share.

  Name and GUID of the AX ob?

    cheers,
      DaveK