Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: odd exploitation question

From: Alexander Sotirov <asotirov () determina com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:49:35 -0700

Jeremy Kelley wrote:
I'm a little stumped writing an exploit for an ActiveX object and so I
figured I'd pester this list for a bit of help.

My exploit works flawlessy when attached to the process in the
debugger.  Doesn't exec calc.exe when run w/o a debugger.

I don't have an answer, but I have a shellcode debugging hint:

First you need to find out if the program if crashing in your shellcode, or
before it. Put a JMP instruction that jumps to itself (\xEB\xFE)in the beginning
of the shellcode. If your exploit causes IE to consume 100% CPU, you'll know
that the execution reached the shellcode. If IE crashes, you have a problem
before the shellcode.

I can't think of a reason for the different behavior if you are attaching the
debugger after the application is already running.

Good luck,
Alex