Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: RE: Microsoft silently fixes security vulnerabilities

From: Chris Anley <chris () ngssoftware com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:46:17 +0100

<snipped 'input validation fixes some bugs related to the input'>

Nick DeBaggis wrote:
But you've only fixed the 'related' bugs if your validation gate is the
only entry point into that particular call tree.  If that code path can
be hit from a different direction then those related bugs may still be
viable.  The third-party aspect makes this especially interesting since
your validation gate may only be masking the other related bugs in the
third-party code, which may cause other users of that third-party code
to wrongly assume it is secure as well.

Sure, but my point is, some bugs are fixed.

The problem is that neither I (the developer following best practice)
nor the vulnerability researcher, nor anyone writing NIPS/HIPS knows
what bugs were actually fixed by my input validation.

Nor does anyone know what bugs or how many were only masked out by it.

All of which is entirely true. The only point I was trying to make was
that some silent fixes are inadvertent.

You're right though, and there's a really long thread we could get into
about how people should code, relating to the definition of a bug (does
strcpy have a bug?), input validation of parameters in every function
and security implications of code re-use, but I'm not sure I want to
inflict that on the good people of dailydave, especially on a Monday
morning, pre-caffeinated.

     -chris.