Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: DISIT - OPEN SOURCE DISASSEMBLER ENGINE

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:37:23 +0000

Piotr Bania wrote:
I made Disit it specially for some of my future projects, because i couldn't find any other suitable engine arround (i needed detailed registers source and destination flags etc. etc.), the only one I liked was Z0MBIE's XDE. Anyway it was surely a quite enjoying work, i bet you will like the thing which will follow the engine (i hope this sound mysteriously :))

I ended up doing the same thing with BugScan 2.0 after looking at what was available. Most of the libraries seemed good at going one way to disassembly, but not extensible enough to support some of the other primitives we needed. (We were also a little scared of the code quality and lack of automated tests in a number of them ;>)

Writing our own disassembler/interpreter for SPARC, MIPS, x86, Java, and .NET was one of the best things we did on that project. It was major work, don't get me wrong, but it allowed us to move faster and without impediment of third parties. We also learned much more about the underlying architectures that helped us generalize the whole architecture more than if we had broken down and reused one of the aforementioned libraries.

Kudos, I hope your library gives you the same benefits! :)

Cheers!