Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Consumer's Union

From: surreal () delusory org
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:19:35 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Dailydave] Consumer's Union
From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>

I used to trust Consumer Reports until they published reviews of antivirus
and antispyware products. They've gotten slightly better at it, but still
the methods and conclusions are questionable. That doesn't mean the Ionic
Breeze is good or bad. I'm just no longer convinced Consumer Reports is as
scientific in their testing methodologies as they claim (or that they have a
complete understanding of what it is they are testing, what they are testing
for, or even why they are testing - except to sell subscriptions).

I'm doubting C.R. too. I bought an Ionic Breeze for the placebo effect
on my wife (OMG, cat dander!). She later got sucked in by Dave Oreck's
"just like on nuclear submarines" air cleaners and the IB was relegated
to a spot in my office next to the trusty LitterMaid (robotic cat litter
box). The IB definitely does something, because with it off my office
reeks of cat litter. On, all odor is gone. It also collects airborne
crud that I have to clean off regularly.

If I neglect to clean it for too long it sputters and eventually makes
the room smell of ozone, so C.R. wasn't completely wrong. Oh, and the
"bathroom wall plug-in thing"? I'd pitch it directly in the trash, it's
nothing but an O3 generator (at least it was "free")

Surreal

-- Mary