Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: WMF and the Windows Vulnerability Drought :>

From: H D Moore <hdm-daily-dave () digitaloffense net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:57:14 -0600

On Monday 02 January 2006 15:20, Dave Aitel wrote:
So I'm not sure why Sans Diary has people calling HD Moore
irresponsible, when all he did was point out the brutally obvious: You
can't write reliable network IDS signatures for these client side
bugs.

From the F-Secure web site:
- http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-012006.html#00000758

"Making such tools publicly available when there's no vendor patch
available is irresponsible. Plain and simply irresponsible. Everybody
associated in making and publishing the exploit knows this. And they
should know better. Moore, A.S, San and FrSIRT: you should know better."

The AV industry sure doesn't like it when their products are completely
inneffective against the biggest exploit of the year. They like it even
less when you publish a one-byte change that breaks their signatures. I
can't blame them for being upset, but this public attempt at "scolding"
is just pathetic.

On a somewhat funny note, a poll was added to the ISC web site (by Swa
Frantzen) that I figured the folks on here would appreciate:

---
Q: Was the release of the 2nd generation WMF exploit on Dec 31st 2005
irresponsible ?

39 % =>Yes, I 'd like to see the authors brought to justice
22 % =>Yes, they made the world a worse place
28 % =>No, the bad guys had already equal ammunition
10 % =>No, I believe the ends did justify the means
Total Answers: 797
---

I contacted the ISC team about this -- introducing the exploit authors as
people that need to be "brought to justice" is about one step from libel.
So far, only 39% of ISC's visitors want to see my ass thrown in jail. I
can't help to think that the wording of that first poll option has
something to do with it.

On the same page as the poll is a nice post from Marcus suggesting that
people check out the Metasploit Framework. Go figure :-)

The poll can be found online at:
- http://isc.sans.org/

Next poll on the ISC web site, "What limb would you most like to have
devoured by flesh-eating scarabs?"...

-HD