Dailydave mailing list archives

Generically Determining the Prescence of Virtual Machines

From: valsmith <valsmith () metasploit com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:00:50 -0700

At OffensiveComputing we were looking at ways to detect virtual machines and
had found and discarded many unsophisticated methods such as looking for
VMWare Tools running as a service or VMWare related registy keys, etc. Then
we discovered Joanna Rutkowska's very interesting "Redpill" method. This was
an eye opening work for us. After spending a little time playing with it we
realized it wasn't fool proof on multiprocessor systems and so we decided to
research the problems and possible ways to improve on the method. We
discovered and implemented an improved method which is presented in the this
paper.

Check http://www.offensivecomputing.net for the paper.

V.