Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sniffing is not the easy answer, Kate.

From: "Sash" <swissc () blueyonder co uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 04:03:21 +0100

Dear Daily Dave,

These days, the products aren't a massive tax on segmentation into which one
can tap a 1Q line fed to them and even other ways.  Bar that, quad pci
(times x) is a song that is sung sometimes.  Cant see its that much an issue
bar cash:)

Im not sure if you are baiting me here Dave :).  But yes, there seems to be
some issues in the Kate Moss sniffing/prevention sec industry in what we
talk about.  She had a 3-some. In terms of product tech, the difference
between monitoring v's low latency prev product, should be clear however
essentially its the same one "sec" tech.

What ive seen in a very curtailed research/assessment in that genre (IPS)
is, its not that what it all seems on paper.  "yes we trap IE sploits", "Yes
we detect DCE-RPC frags/UUID context changes", "yes we do great DDoS
detection/prevention", "yes we see SUN RPC sploits", "gee's even long HTTP
post requests", "rudimentary list continues.....".  Some explicitly claim to
not do client side stuff - some do, and even those are still evaded (by lame
arse html code im afraid).  Sometimes they even go so far to say they are
web app firewalls to some degree....... oh.

Oh and yes, CANVAS has made BIG holes in some (but not all).  Metasploit's
DCE-RPC/SMB frag worked on one that I trialled.

But some do some really nice SYN proxy'ing too...

To be honest Dave, is it the shell code polymorph that's the issue (as I
cant see how they can ever catch you given that as a trigger?)  Coz they
cant parse Asm and work out what you are doing.  That's right now and for
the foreseeable future not? From recent experience its stuff like, calling
DCpromo over a network, small or extended RPC frags, et al (I can only think
the list goes on as you now) - its abnormal behaviour.  In an enterprise
environment you cant stop Mr nasty however Mr Badly Written Worm is a high
probability of being caught.  I feel, IDS helps the "picture" of the network
such as openview may to traditional networking and IPS blocks the really
silly un-patched sploits propagating.

A box that understands the proto and not so much the sigs is supreme however
it always seems that the "in crowd" is always ahead of the "commercial
crowd" and both are never ahead of the transient nationals from Country X.

Cheers
Sash