Dailydave mailing list archives

Sniffing is not the easy answer, Kate.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:04:55 -0400

I know I sound like Kate Moss here, but: Sniffing is not the easy answer. Making sniffing solutions is like betting that over the next decade or so, cpu*memory > bandwidth*protocol complexity. I just can't see that happening. It used to be plausible because there were a lot of shortcuts you could take - signatures, for example - that would help out. These days, everyone knows signatures are broken and you have to parse every protocol to do whatever it is you are trying to do. Of course it's possible you don't have all the information you need to do whatever it is you want to do: deep down, sniffing solutions are essentially a tax on network segmentation.

One of the things I think that is going to change the balance of the equation is a forced honesty among sniffing solutions vendors. For example, CANVAS 7 is a Service Oriented Architecture. What this means to sniffing companies is that they never get to see the algorithm that generates our nops. Our shellcode polymorphism routines can remain hidden, and evolve over short periods of time, and still be used by a wide number of people. The internal algorithm that powers an exploit can remain unspoken - you send us the binary for su, we return you a root shell. It allows for coordination on a mass scale - if I've hacked 2^16 machines (or some smaller number of networks + spoofing), I can scan you on each port from a separate IP address.

That's my thought for the day. Now I'm going to go teach class - I'm missing fabulous 8-bug Microsoft Christmas! This is the first Microsoft Christmas with a public BinNavi to help you produce quick repros (http://www.immunitysec.com/products-binnavi.shtml). :>

-dave