Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Exploit development weirdness

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:19:37 -0500

Is this part of some effort to find out who responds first, DD or FD?

In any case, this is what I do in such circumstances:
1. Check for \xcc in your shellcode which you left in for debugging
and then forgot about
2. Check again, cause you missed one.
3. If, on the off chance, this is not the problem:
    3a. Concurrency threading issues (a tough nut to crack - try a
tiny shellcode that just does a connect() and see if you at least got
that far)
    3b. Try a lighter weight debugger and a heavier-weight debugger.
In my case, this would be BinNavi (or Immunity's pyDBG) and SoftIce or
maybe WinDBG.
    I'm just going to ASSUME you're using ollydbg, since you're asking
for help. :> Ollydbg runs the CPU hardcore doing polls.  Perhaps you
can try setting Ollydbg in automatic trace mode, and seeing what that
does?
   3c. Perhaps there is also a heap overflow and you're triggering
that too, but not in debug mode since the heap performs differently in
debug mode. Make sure you unset the debug bit in the PEB for good measure.

One thing: Always ATTACH, never "Load" the file you're trying to debug.

- -dave

RaMatkal wrote:

having one of those days....im about ready to put my foot through
my computer....

writing stack overflow on win32 arc...

i overflow eip with a pop/pop/ret, jump to my bind shellcode and im
away.....all works perfectly but....

when i attach to the process with my debugger and step through the
exploit, it works 100% of the time....however, when i try and
exploit the server without the debugger attached, the service just
seems to crash.....

anyone have any idea what could cause this sort of behaviour? (my
shellcode doesnt use IsDebuggerPresent hehe) anyone have an idea
how i can take a look at what is going wrong? remember, when i
attach my debugger it works!!!

Thanks in advance, RaMatkal