Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: bugscan operations shut down

From: nummish <nummish () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:25:43 -0400

On 9/6/05, Matt Hargett <matt () use net> wrote:

Dave Aitel wrote:
That's weird - how far were you guys from profitability? Seems like a
good idea to do Bugscan 2.0 on Mono. Was Mono giving you any problems?
Any post-company-ideas to share with us?

Before the acquisition, we were profitable.

Mono works when it works, let me put it that way. Once we started
building a relationship with Novell, bugs got fixed more quickly. In the
beginning, though, they pushed back really hard even on fundamental bugs
that affected any real application and ultimately had 3-5 line fixes.
Even so, I would recommend mono for use in most situations. I would just
get what they call a 'mono kickstart' package where you get support
incidents, etc. Doing it without that, even if you are a Novell partner,
can be slow/frustrating. Overall it was a great idea to use mono and it
really paid off to be using mono/Linux on our appliance.

No ideas to share at this time, no. Maybe in a month or two :)

One thing I've been wondering about this weekend was your use of VS to
generate code for mono.
I'm assuming you didn't have much in terms of UI (windows.forms vs some
other framework).. but
did you run into many issues with autogenerated code (such as DataSet code)
running fine in the
MS CLR, but throwing random or surprising errors on the mono CLR? Or did you
avoid using VS
altogether for the mono code?

--
Bigger 1:23