Dailydave mailing list archives

Shellcode, as always.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:59:05 -0400

The next shellcode I want to write is a tiny named pipe (MSRPC?) server stub that does MOSDEF. There are a couple good reasons for this. I think it'd be neat to raise the covertness bar in CANVAS and then have your MOSDEF connection fragmented across SMB+MSRPC, or even encrypted under packet privacy. There are lots of IDS companies who are triggering on the MOSDEF second stage itself, which is annoying. I could step it up a notch, and just use a decoder every time I send a MOSDEF packet, which is a two line change, but then they'll just trigger on the decoder. And, of course, I could do a source-level polymorphic decoder for the second stage, since MOSDEF is, at heart, a compiler, and the second stage can be as big as it wants. No doubt that'll be a good task for an intern some day, but today I want to do the named pipe thing and see how it works.

The other thing I want a named pipe MOSDEF for is for Nematode.py, since it makes more sense in that case than a connectback would (which normally I much prefer). I think the first public discussion of Nematodes is here: http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2005kl/?p=13 . Feel free to pipe up with self rightous anger and indignation at the topic. Even better if you show up and do it personally. :>

-dave