Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: No sellout. was: RE: Lynn / Cisco shellcode

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:44:01 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Man - that was a great Archie Bunker impression. I assume you were just
trying to be funny right? The world did > change:

1. Lynn is out of a job

  Apparently willingly, and probably not for long.
  See: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/29/michael_lynns_contro.html
  (under 'Update 2:')

2. Cisco is going to take security vulnerabilities a bit more seriously

  Just don't pass out while holding your breath for this one.

3. Security Researchers are going to treat Cisco like crap for a bit

  As opposed to when Cisco had good working relationships with
  external security researchers?  Or when Cisco would fix and
  publish notices for vulnerabilities that weren't made public
  elsewhere first and not hide behind NDA's or partner contracts?

  When exactly was that, again?

  (To be fair, Cisco neither invented nor has a monopoly on
  'the ostrich syndrome.'  But they are clearly infected.)

4. BlackHat attendance is going to go WAY up next year (look for more
press coverage for sure)

  This is probably true.  Americans love to watch scandal and
  self-destruction, myself included.  I wonder if anybody would
  be talking about Lynn's presentation if there hadn't been a
  scandal?

5. <insert next step>
6. Profit!

  Mmm-hmm.