Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Media Excitement!

From: robert () dyadsecurity com
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:09:59 -0700

pageexec () freemail hu(pageexec () freemail hu)@Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:26:05PM +0100:
which one of those "make[s] use of such proactive security measures?"
(assuming we're talking about 'intrusion prevention' here).

The security mechanisms in the products are a function of the protection
profile(s) they were trying to build into their design. You can read
their Security Target documents to see in detail which pieces they tried
to implement and why.  You can also read about the individual protection
profiles separately.

The goal here wasn't to say "This one is more secure than that one".
It's to say "We have this level of sensitivity and require these
particular security mechanisms, and need this assurance level as to the
effectiveness of the security mechanisms".  Basically, choose the right
technology for your environment.

side question, which one of those didn't have security patches since
their evaluation?

I believe every product listed has had patches since their evaluation.
As I pointed out though in an earlier post, the containment of the
compromise, or rather the inherent ability to limit intrusion should
be designed into the TCB, not bolted on afterwards.

<marketing>
At this upcoming Black Hat class
(http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-05/train-bh-usa-05-dyad-uh.html),
we're going to show some fun new things we've been working on in unix
exploitation.  We will also demonstrate the differences between
compromising services running on a "hardened" unix box vs a system with
stronger security mechanisms built into the TCB.
</marketing>

Robert

--
Robert E. Lee