Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Media Excitement!

From: "rgula () tenablesecurity com" <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0400

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 05:06:23PM -0400, Ron Gula wrote:
I've become a disciple of the zen network manager
masters ;)

So, you want everyone to go back to using netware then?

That's a very narrow view of the comment. There are netware
networks run really well, and there are those that are not.
I don't care what people use, but the end result is the
same.
What I want them to do is keep track of their network, the
changes to it, and approve the changes to it. If they do
that, then security is a by-product. If they don't, then we
will continually be chasing 'top 20' lists of security
problems, rather than designing networks that compensate
for these issues.

Zen is pretty cool, and is really nifty for patch
management... but I thought the whole thread was
anti-patch management.  :P

The zen reference goes to shops who have implemented these
procedures. They often have less admins in general, less
reliance on security tools, .etc. Some of the networks with
the highest uptimes only patch once a year. The point is
that if you know what is on your network and how it is
being used, you can mount a succsesful strategy without
trying to patch everything, which was Toby's original
question.

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security