Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Port 445, BB-style security news services,

From: Steve Lord <steve () buyukada co uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:07:19 +0100

Edward Ray wrote:

Reading articles like these makes me want to start my own security blog...

You have to look at your audience here.  While I am surprised that E-week
would pick up on this FUD, this is what Gartner makes its money on.  Some
CIO who is paying oodles of money for access to Gartner's reports and advice
will look and see that his security devices are in the "Magic Quadrant" and
thus his/her network is safe.
I don't think it's a case of Magic Quadrant = Secure IMHO. It seems more the case that larger businesses' decisions on technologies are influenced (e.g. we have a pot of money, do we spend it on IDS or firewalls?) by what they perceive to be happening at other businesses. This may seem to be some form of business risk analysis (if everyone else is buying firewalls, they must be a safe bet) but that implies that CIOs have little more to offer businesses than lemmings and that they're incapable of deciding for themselves, something anyone who's ever had to get sign-off from one will know is grossly untrue. Then again, YCIOMV

What is even more amusing is the "Magic Quadrant" that I here quoted by
vendors and Gartner alike.  I think my Tipping Point IPS and Netscreen
devices are/were in the Magic Quadrant.   Whew, what a relief :)
The funny thing about the Magic Quadrant is how vendors are desperate to be seen in there, to the point where some will develop an entire product based upon the idea that being in the MQ will somehow bring them vast sums of money - one former employer developed a 'threat corellation' tool on the grounds that gartner said it was the next big thing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here by not doing so, but then again I'm not in the Magic Quadrant. Anyway, I've blogged about this at http://www.snakeoillabs.com as I've created my own 'mailing list' Magic Quadrant - it's free, too!