Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Port 445, BB-style security news services,

From: "Edward Ray" <support () mmicman com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:35:39 -0700

Reading articles like these makes me want to start my own security blog...

You have to look at your audience here.  While I am surprised that E-week
would pick up on this FUD, this is what Gartner makes its money on.  Some
CIO who is paying oodles of money for access to Gartner's reports and advice
will look and see that his security devices are in the "Magic Quadrant" and
thus his/her network is safe.

What is even more amusing is the "Magic Quadrant" that I here quoted by
vendors and Gartner alike.  I think my Tipping Point IPS and Netscreen
devices are/were in the Magic Quadrant.   Whew, what a relief :)

This article has been repeated on vunet and elsewhere.  At least some other
sources bring a little sanity.  From http://isc.sans.org:

"... several readers sent us their thoughts on the recent spike in tcp/445
traffic. The general consensus seems to be that there was no wide-spread
Internet attack or scans. Others postulated that some locations might have
been victims of "routine" scans on ports that are listed in the monthly
Microsoft security advisories. Another thought was that what Symantec (and
later the US-CERT and Gartner) reported was really based on increased bot
activity. Regardless, we did not see any significant increases in the
DShield database on tcp/445 but will continue to monitor the situation."

Edward W. Ray