Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: fragging with rootkit detectors?

From: Mark <mark () vulndev org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:43:43 +0100 (BST)

<top_post>

Morning all,
(yeah ok so not morning everywhere but I can live with being
wrong for 12 hours out of 24, that's pretty normal).

I hasten to add that this is a general rambling so if you're bored by this
point just close the email, log off (I said log!) and get on with the rest
of your day....

I would be very surprised if CSA or other similar
products (everyone knows i'm vendor neutral in my general sarcasm)
are not detected by a product which is doing it's job correctly with a
thought towards rootkit detection, this includes insertion points,
helping show where the int overflows or other such things may be etc..

Did I say that?

Of course maybe there will be a Pd project (wow, the power of linking
threads!!!) which will allow rootkit
detectors to only detect rootkits which are not on a "preference" list?

hmm.. encrypted rootkit channels..

Oh yes, it's been done.

anyway, feel better for that little ramble extract from it what you will,

Time for coffee,

</top_post>