Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: A single line drawn by Picasso, an Iraqi artist, and a buffer overflow.

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:54:40 +0000

Thomas H. Ptacek wrote:
2. It places a premium on vulnerability research that produces readily-exploitable vulnerabilities in a small subset of vendors, regardless of the fact that those vendors might not be our most important targets. For every OS you find a remote in, I have an embedded printer card that would be even scarier to break. And so on. Not to mention the fact that the "current exploitability" factor is not necessarily a good predictor of the "long term value" of a vulnerability.

Totally with you here. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff our produce is finding in embedded MIPS application binaries. People probably have 10 of these things in their posession and only know about half of them.

3. It marks a return to the "security-clique" mentality that characterized the early 90's; if full-disclosure people like me have an ideological enemy, it's the Infohax/CORE-list dynamic that kept a small group of "cool kids" in the know about holes and everyone else in the dark. 8lgm shattered that on Bugtraq, hundreds of people followed, and we are way, way better off for it. It's a subtly different point from #1: yes, it's bad to hamstring operators by keeping info secret, but it's even worse to retard progress by withholding research results.

As you already know, I really disliked this aspect of the security 'scene'. The constant dick-waving about who has what information is so stupid, it makes me tired. It ends up forcing out people who might otherwise have valuable contributions, but people caught up in the cliquey middle-school-level games you mention above can't see past their own egos enough to realise it half of the time.

There are lots of smart people out there who don't have the credentials to get into these cliques, but it's amazing what they can do when given the right direction. I'm glad other 'cooler' people have passed on so many of these bright engineers, more for me :)

Part of the issue is, I'm just not not convinced that the current model we have isn't effective. Yeah, it undersells people who find vulnerabilities. But undervaluing research isn't what keeps people buying insecure products, so solving the "market value of exploits" problem doesn't address the "market acceptance of insecurity" problem. It seems clear to me, based on the past 10 years of vulnerability research, that there are other effective motivators for security researchers.

And what if finding low-hanging fruit vulnerabilities becomes a commodity? Remember when people couldn't charge $200/hour to do a portscan and give a 'report' on a class C because the tools were available? People said network security scanners "couldn't be done", mostly because they were hanging onto fantasy life of doing things that no one else could do easily.

What do you think the impact on the model will be when this happens with finding novel exploits?

What do you think the ability for enterprise software consumers themselves to accurately verify the COTS software they buy meets a minimum security standard?

Great commentary :)