Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Funny note here on a worm

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 08:25:22 -0400

At 07:10 AM 5/1/2005, Kyle Quest wrote:

The idea to release this advisory obviously came
from the marketing guys from Sourcefire. The snort.org
website became a marketing and a sales tool for Sourcefire.
Snort itself is changing too. Look at what's going on
with the rules... This is just sad.

My only criticism of the sig was that it has known false
positive, right out of the box:

---
This rule will generate false positive events on normal traffic between Exchange servers. If these extensions are implemented in a network where Exchange servers are used, administrators should configure this rule as appropriate for their environment.
---

I don't have any issues with Sourcefire charging for the
rules updates and if folks want to chat about it on this
list, I can save us all a lot of time by posting the for/against
threads from the various Nessus, Snort, vuln-watch mailing
lists.

Ron