Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Funny note here on a worm

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 07:25:56 +0400

Dave Aitel wrote:
http://www.snort.org/rules/advisories/vrt-rules-2005-04-20.html

"The Sourcefire VRT has received reliable reports that a worm that uses
this vulnerablity to propogate is being developed."

"The <enter three letters> has intercepted reliable 'chatter' that
weapons of mass destruction are being developed by <evil country>"

Now, the above would actually make sense.

Thing is, we all know a worm would show up, so that's not a shock.
Releasing such a ludicrous statement by people who I personally consider
to be serious, is a shock.

"Hi Joe, 'sup?"
"I'm cool, you?"
"Ahh, developing a worm for this new exploit..."
"Ahh."
"Damn, are we in a public channel?"
(de-l33ted)

Now, their reports may be true and it may be that one of these guys
lives next to the actual VX-er and that they trade heavy metal music and
are both Black Sabbath fans, but this is still an absurd statement to
come out with. Especially when you are not a three letter organization.

Regardless of it being so funny and ludicrous [speed], they are probably
right. But I thought the Power of Intelligence belonged to the people at
idefense?

Alarmists everywhere!

        Gadi.