Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: ACM

From: plonky <plonky () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:08:36 +0100

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:42:01 -0500, Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com> wrote:
The ACM Communications, a rather prestigious journal in the academic
community, I think, has a  one page article by a George Ledin Jr.
(ledin () sonoma edu) entitled "Not Teaching Viruses and Worms is Harmful".
It's worth a read, and it's nice to see an academic on that side of the
fence officially, considering most of the industry is watching their
bottom line and trying to quash any form of information on the subject
they can.

-dave

Yes, just for exemple, why dont they even respect the will of the
virus author, who called cabir "Cabire" ?
From the /Viruses/29A-8.004/caribe/descripcion.txt which come from the
issue #8 of the famous 29A crew magazine : "
About Caribe:
-------------

Caribe is a worm for symbian operating system. The current compilation
will work over series 60
phones. Currently: ....

"

i greped the sources for cabir , and no result.
I think this is the source that in a big hype tsunami everybody was
talking about.
So may be im blind and silly (which might be the truth anyway), or may
be journalists trust too much their sources without checking any
validity, or may be
AV industry is in charge of virus naming, and they found that caribe
wasnt nice enought.

regards

--
plonky