Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: How T-Mobil's network was compromised

From: Anthony Zboralski <bcs2005 () bellua com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:14:39 +0700

Whatever happened to the people chasing down the time delays in Pentium-I CPU's when executing onducmented (backdoor?) instructions to get to ring 0?
Didn't one of them die? :)

You mean the people who reversed  undocumented Pentium instructions.
Actually they are documented in Appendix H but you need to sign a 15 years NDA with Intel to get access to it. They removed the appendix from the original docs in a rush and
left tons of references to A-H in the body of the manual.

Interesting though you mention that, I was telling David Maynor about this ring 0 hack a few weeks ago and I was wondering why so few people were looking into this. I tried to get one of these guys, Robert Collins (who works now at Transmeta) to talk
at the  BCS2005 but couldn't reach him.

His articles were originally published in Dr Dobbs magazine in 1997 and he never published the follow-up articles, in which he promised he would give more details about
possible other ways to break ring 0.

Robert Collins goes:
"Using SMM to Create a CPL-0 v86 Task
Two of the strangest things I've done with SMM involved changing the descriptor access rights. In one case, I changed the access rights of the GDT descriptor cache to Not Present. The subsequent descriptor table lookup caused a triple fault. This proved that the GDT access rights were used by the Pentium processor, even though they don't exist as part of the LGDT instruction data structure (see my March 1997 column for more details.) But the other "strangest" thing I've done (and the most illegal, too) allowed me to enter a v86 task at CPL-0 and execute privileged instructions."

News to me. Links please?

That's from:
http://www.rcollins.org/ddj/May97/May97.html
older articles:
http://www.rcollins.org/ddj/Mar97/Mar97.html
http://www.rcollins.org/ddj/Jan97/Jan97.html

There are many other cool articles on his site on ICE hardware and debugging.

Intel went after him for a while for defacing the Intel Inside logo on his web site. There must
be a better reason, he gagged himself.

consider this the obligatory reference to "reflections on trusting trust"...
http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/

I really like Ken Thomson's paper except for the conclusion. Comparing hacking/intrusion to vandalism is libel :) Vandals were barbarians who invaded, raped and sacked Rome in June 455.

Talking about Intel... Anyone has played with the /dev/microcode interface? Anything interesting we can do with it? Minus was working on that before he got brainwashed, joined a Sect (no kidding) and
left the community.

A brief history of microcoded CPUS:
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0312/msg01031.html

On the same topic:
.. NEC had hired a team to reverse engineer the microcode programs found on Intel microprocessor chips to study the functions the microcode performed and to ... http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/articles/pdf/v03/03HarvJLTech209.pdf (NEC hired a team to reverse Intel
microcode)

Regards,

gaius

--
Bellua Cyber Security Asia 2005 - http://www.bellua.net
21-22 March - The Workshops - 23-24 March - The Conference