Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: GREENAPPLE Release

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:20:34 -0500

Immunity has released greenapple.py to CANVAS customers - just as a DoS for now, although it does get EIP cleanly. The ISS note (I like how they sum things up in their alerts, btw. Very clear and concise) - claims it as a heap overflow, which is true, but there are also nice clean stack overflows and other fun things. There's a ton of bugs here, and you get to choose which one you exploit.

Basically, out of all that stuff, we have a bunch of client-side attacks, a local or two, and this remote, which only works on the local network (?). Not as exciting as you would think from all the hoopla! This is the problem with calling everything "remote code execution" when it's really "client side remote code execution" or "post-auth remote code execution". Someone go ping Microsoft and tell them they're making mountains out of molehills.

Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.

Sinan Eren wrote:

My brief analysis back in the day when Dave blue-screen'ed his box was that, this is a clean kernel stack overflow. With cpl of tweaks in the payload i was able to get eip/ebp control. We didnt have time back than to write a full blown exploit, hoping that the bug might live for many more years to come ;-(

Thanks,
Sinan Eren
Immunity, Inc. Research