Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sending remote procedure calls through e-mail(RPC-Mail)

From: John Bryson <john.bryson () oit gatech edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:33:08 -0400

With a trivial port knocking scheme, I would have to agree.
But, I disagree that its easy for a worm to do this, unless your port
knocking scheme was trivial like 'hit port 55 then 5'.

Imagine a fairly simple port knocking scheme where you dont have
listening daemons, but sniff the packets off the wire - require users to
hit port 81 then 5 then 5555, in order, and within a small period of
time. Then a firewall hole is opened up for that user to services. And
assume that you get no response at all from the server until you have
completed that. Too many bad attempts from the same Ip and you quit
listening to that ip for perhaps 5 min. [I just spent all of 10 minutes
thinking up this scheme, so there is a chance that it sucks B^) ]

But, how will a worm figure that out? It cant with a simple port scan.
It would have to try a lot of combinations, even with this simple
scheme. It gets no feedback until it guesses correctly. And if you add
authentication to that, I think its fairly worm-proof.

However...I have to admit that this doesnt help worm attacks on public
services.

And it does add some support costs to the organization, which might be
the best reason not to use it. (you have to work out a port knocking
scheme, maybe write some software, and you might need custom clients or
train users)

John