Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: For those of you that don't know....

From: "Clemens, Dan" <Dan.Clemens () healthsouth com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:40:11 -0600

        David,

        >You should preface your last statement with "I write exploits for a
        >living so I don't want people to buy a solution that actually stops
        >them."

        Please judge the log in your own eye before pointing a sharp stick in someone else's eye!
        Not to flame here, but ISS's Xforce is definately in the business of writing exploits to validate IDS sigs you
create and to place in your wonderful ISS Scanner.

        I think its great that products like Canvas can call b.s. on your signatures without hiding behind the 'oh our
sploits are so secret  and proprietary .

        >You can't say with a straight face they were doing better than everybody
        >else in the market, they are evaded by simple RPC fragmentation, even
        >SNORT catches that. ImmunitySec's own Canvas CRI turns it into swiss
        >cheese, from what I hear.

        He can say that he has an experience and an opinion. Please treat members of this list with some dignity and
respect because I am sure they have (especially Sinan) has earned it, but please don't place your flame from something
that is hearsay.

        >What other NIPS/HIPS vendors are you speaking of? As far as I know Willy
        >Wonka got his Ompalompa's on spyware research now so the list of NIPS
        >that tippingpoint is better than has dropped a bit.

        Translation:

        Shampoo is better than conditioner!

        What other NIPS/HIPS are you talking about other than ISS? Please throw us a few bones than simply saying 'nuh
uh'. Try to give some educated responses on why the vendors (especially HIPS department) may or may not be better.

        -Daniel Clemens