Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Anonymized

From: Karl Shea <karl () karlshea com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:10:19 -0500

Speaking as one of the unfortunate bastards stuck in Internal Audit at
one of those mentioned companies, I can safely say Lakefront Breweries
has saved my life if not my sanity. The only upside to working for

I live about 5 minutes from Lakefront Brewery. Friday fish fry, and the Pumpkin lager. That is all.

such companies is that fact that Sarbanes Oxley has kicked most of
them in the pants to fix most of their broken technology as well
allowing me to get out of the country every other month. I agree that
if you really want to find the interesting work you gotta look outside
the box here and maybe into Chicago. The other problem with working
with some of the megacorporations is that they have such shitty HR
departments that your manager can't promote you based on your
excellent performance and level of responsibility but rather how many
years you've wasted with said company. Many of us are trying to escape

That is exactly true. A friend of mine does webapp development for Metavante as an "intern" while he finishes his degree, and he is in the same position that he was in when he worked for Strong: he is doing the work of a normal employee, and during the summer, possibly even more, but they won't pay him much because he's still in school. They know they can screw him, because what else is he gonna do?

as soon as possible. My recommendation to hiring managers would be
look at what type of projects people do on their free time rather than
what they do within a company but I can attest that some of us treat
our daily jobs as a 8-5 routine fashionable to flipping burgers except
without the grease burn. My other recommendation would be to not
getting too caught up with "job" experience because it can really bite
you in the ass when you compare someone who spends free time
researching and trolling on mailing lists such as this with "little"

I work at a little company right now, and there is a guy there with years of programming experience who is the lead on this web project. We're doing it in .NET, and using lots of code from an earlier project, and adding features as we go.

I don't think you can use an object-oriented language and be any *less* object oriented than we are. This guy understands absolutely nothing about OO, programming design, security, or modularization. We have about 300 stored procedures, because every single page loads its own information, and the only objects we have in the entire project are a user that gets put into the session, and a page class that we use instead of the default. I came into the project never having used .NET before, and in 3 months time I know more about the language than anyone working there. This project would have taken half the time to do had it been done the Right Way in the first place.

But he has lots of "experience" so he would be more valuable to an HR department than I would.

experience to someone with the 5 years in CISSP/CISA gift pack who
can't fucking perform an audit without their damn checklist in front
of them. So if you're interested in hiring someone with half a clue or
just want to ship me a few six packs of Leffe Brune or even Lakefront
Eastside Dark please post here and I'll contact you directly. Thus
ends my self whoring and buffoonery for the day.

Good luck on the audit

-Karl