Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Can Dave be cloned?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:03:15 +0200

There are a few issues in this thread that I would like to comment on. I'll try and repeat things said before me.

I believe looking for good employees of *this* kind is a difficult thing, however, it *can* be extremely easy.

There are a few things we have to realize when it comes to *our* kind of people:
1. Most of them are crazy (I know I am).
2. Because of 1 above, HR would flunk them - which is a good sign.
3. There are just a few of them in every school (1-3).
4. If you don't know them already, or know somebody who knows them - you are wasting your time looking. 5. Once you decided to hire one of them, only question left in my opinion, due to their skillz vs. personality question, and our business being security - their reliability.

Now, whenever I get to talk to any kid in related circles (sci-fi conventions, linux hook-ups, do you have a brother or sister who care about computers?) I make sure and get their details and/or resume.

Sometimes they are 14 and deserve another look in a couple of years, sometimes they are past college, just ready for the grab.

Thing is, it's a process. Resume's mass-sent via email don't usually help. Also, high-standards usually deter a lot of candidates.

There are probably several psychological profiles for these people (h'm no shrink), and you just learn to identify them in the street over time. :P

They are rarely in college! Although that happens. Why demand a college degree?

HR hates (most) of them, remember, they *are* crazy.

You would have a much better luck finding someone and investing in them rather than hoping for the one in a thousand guys to show up and demand more money, then disappear.

These guys usually are the go-to geeks at their companies, and when they finally join yours and find 10 people such as them and that they are not the smartest in the bunch - it's a cultural collision.

Just a few thoughts. There are always people looking for where to work, we just haven't yet invented a good means of how to locate them easily.

        Gadi.