Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Symantec Buys @stake

From: Jan Muenther <jan.muenther () nruns com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:05:57 +0200

hey Halvar,

btw, regarding Symantec: Has anyone ever seen a Symantec FW in the
wild ? It is the artist formerly known as "Raptor", and I have vivid
memories of it screwing up my OS's network stack majorly two or
three years ago (which made me move to not install software I look
at outside a VM any more)...

Indeed, I have. On Win32, it's probably the worst firewalling solution ever,
the only one I know that you don't have to find any DoS vulnerabilties for since
it'll just DoS itself every once in a while.

Anyway, it's still around, yet I doubt they increased their market share since
the Axent days - probably mostly old clients who just bought into the updates
with one of the popular support plans.

You're also right about the IP-stack f**kups - it actually replaced a lot of
that and didn't change it for the better (predictable ISN etc., which isn't much
of a change on win32 anyway).

If you need the names of sites that run it, send me a mail :)

Cheers, J.