Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Patent fun

From: Mordy Ovits <movits () bloomberg com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:56:54 -0400

On Friday 02 July 2004 11:53 am, Scharf, Stephen wrote:
Surprising then that the linguists did not own all the inventions. Seems
to me that a profitable enterprise would be to try and re-create
scientific proofs matched to the first letters of x number of words. One
could mail out a letter with 1000 random letters and then create their
own prior art for anything if they were creative enough.

The entire proof is based on the difficulty of back-fitting the idea to the
set of letters.  That's what the "one-way" property is derived from.  It's
not as hard as cracking SHA1, but it's more than practically difficult for a
large scientific paper.  It's sort of an old fashion way to do a bit
commitment protocol.

Also, I don't think it was used extensively.  It was more of a curiosity.

Mordy
--
Mordy Ovits
Network Security