Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Pentesters getting owned?

From: "wirepair" <wirepair () roguemail net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:37:35 -0700

Aha, thats great, And scary.
On Mon, 3 May 2004 23:16:37 -0400
 Brian <bmc () snort org> wrote:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:59:25PM -0700, wirepair wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of or seen a pen-testers laptop get owned while
their on site?

Sure.
I was brought in to validate another team's work after they finished.
My scans found an additional machine that they didn't list in their
network map.  Only after I had compromised it and started looking
around, did I realize that it was one of the previous team's laptop that
they accidentally left behind.

Of course, I know a pen-tester that insecurely setup a HTTP proxies (ala
HTTPush) through a VPN without properly protecting the proxy server,
allowing one of the various web based worms to leak into the network he
was auditing.

Brian

--
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and

--
Visit Things From Another World for the best
comics, movies, toys, collectibles and more.