Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: [sr] Wins investigation for MS04-006

From: H D Moore <hdm-daily-dave () digitaloffense net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:25:10 -0500

On Friday 11 June 2004 14:05, you wrote:
You did work with us on this investigation, and if you would like to
have co-credit for this issue, then I'm more than happy to add you to
the security bulletin.

I am sorry it was interpreted that way, I actually couldn't care less
about the credit, the only reason I brought up the WINS issue was the
mention of OIS (which was relevent to the current topic on the mailing
list). The point I was trying to make was that vendors are pushing to get
security researchers to use the OIS guidelines for vulnerability
reporting. The "work with us, or get no credit" stance has also been a
long-running theme with Microsoft security, personally I have run across
it about three times now (going back to 1998 or so). With regards to
HITB, I do feel that they were pressured by Microsoft into not releasing
their advisory, however since they have made no official response...

I can mention as well that we are aware of other recent reports of
another WINS issue, is it possible that this is the issue that you had
found originally?

It could be, but I have not checked and have no interest in persuing it. I
am aware of alternate exploits that were resolved by the same patch,
these seem to be based off the same issue that I ran across here. Maybe
someone else on the DD list would like to speak up about their exploit
code :)

-HD